Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Live, Learn, LOVE.

 I recently re-discovered a journal I kept when i started college.  I
 was young,  broken-hearted, starting out fresh at a new school with
 not a single friend, on the brink of adulthood but still so incredibly
 naïve (something I only recognize now, because I have distance,
 experience and context).  I was 18 years old, feeling grown and wise…
 and yet at the same time like a failure.  Reading my words in my
 handwriting was almost like becoming reacquainted with a stranger, a
 well-meaning, disillusioned stranger.  I know it is cliché, but I could not help but think if only
 I knew then what I know now, perhaps I would have been more hopeful
 and less critical.


 In order to create reminders for myself in the next ten years, I
 decided to list down the things I wish I knew then and things I may
 need to know again in the next decade of my life.

 List of things I wish I could have told my eighteen-year-old self…

-Maturity is a process and is less about age and more about experience, and actually learning from those experiences.
-Don't be overwhelmed by the disappointment of rejection or the confusion of disappointment.
-You are beautiful.  Without make up and in the middle of the night and outside of being sexy.
-Tell yourself you are beautiful frequently and abundantly. And mean it!
-Listen to your gut, the truth is that the feeling that something is wrong, NEVER GOES AWAY.
-Be kind to yourself.  You tend to be so hard on yourself.
-You are strong. Your capacity of strength is so much bigger than you think.
-Your vulnerabilities and mistakes make you human, not weak.
-You have incredible judgment—use it.
- Do an inventory as often as possible and purge relationships that don't add to your life, because
 they will inevitably take from it.
-Friendships only matter in Quality, not Quantity.  You will be grateful for the few amazing people who are there when it matters.
-Love yourself more—more than anything else and anyone else.  If you don't, no one else will.
-Set higher goals and follow your dreams!  They will take you places you have not even imagined.
-Stop stressing over the little things you cannot change.
-Don't settle.  Life is full of choices, don't ever let anyone talk you out of having standards. Keep your heels, head and standards high. You are not picky, or greedy, or unrealistic. You are worth it!
-Live passionately!  regrets are for people who live with out living & feel with out feeling.
 - Learn to just LET IT GO.
 -Your destiny will never walk away. Friends, Boys, and Jobs will come and go. Learn to play your cards wisely.
 -Your faith will not always look like this. the more you open your eyes to the world the more you will believe in, and less you'll trust.
 -Never be tolerant of injustice. Speak when the moment calls for it.
 -Take risks and do things that scare, intimidate & inspire you. That's how u get to the top.
 -Love deeply, intentionally, reverently.  Even when it hurts!